Latest: Police officer stabbed outside UK parliament; Officers shoot attacker ‘waving a knife’
WHAT WE KNOW SO FAR:
- A police officer has been stabbed outside the UK Houses of Parliament in London; paramedics on site administering treatment;
- The knifeman has been shot by police; paramedics on site administering treatment;
- Around three shots were fired outside the Palace of Westminster after the knifeman ran through the gates waving a knife;
- There appear to have been two incidents; the second on Westminster Bridge where a car was driven onto a pavement;
- Several people are reported to have been injured in the incident on Westminster Bridge;
- It is not confirmed whether the driver of the car is the same person as the knifeman shot by police; details still emerging;
- A London-wide emergency has been put in place as a precaution; police hopeful the incidents are over.
Update 3.45pm: Witness Quentin Letts said he saw a man in black attack a police officer outside the British Parliament before being shot two or three times as he tried to storm into the House of Commons.
“I saw a thick-set man in black clothes come through the gates into New Palace Yard, just below Big Ben,” he told the BBC.
“He had something in his hand, it looked like a stick of some sort, and he was challenged by a couple of policemen in yellow jackets.
Read More : breakingnews.ie