Japanese authorities decry ongoing robot failures at Fukushima

Japanese authorities decry ongoing robot failures at Fukushima

techcrunch

Six years ago, a massive earthquake, consequent tsunami and nuclear crisis struck Japan. International organizations rushed to help the country’s devastated residents, and to figure out how to clean up Fukushima Daiichi, the wrecked nuclear power plant. Robots offered a ray of hope amid unfathomable loss. At least they did, until recently.

As the Asahi Shimbun reported yesterday, members of Japan’s Nuclear Regulation Authority are now urging plant operators Tokyo Electric Power Company to find new technology and methods to aid in the cleanup. Robots keep getting fried on their missions, literally from radiation damage, or stranded on-site wasting precious money and time.

The implication is that, perhaps, the clean up will move faster if Tepco’s energy and the government’s money is redirected to chemistry, biology, and so-called “safe containment,” building some sort of structure around Fukushima Daiichi like the “sarcophagus” around Chernobyl. Or perhaps humans need to trust AI to move robots through some of their tasks. All of the robots deployed in the cleanup effort have been remote-operated by humans, so far. The government watchdog’s critical comments followed the latest robo-fail revealed by Tepco.

Read More : techcrunch

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Getting Location

Please Wait

0

N/A

N/A

N/A
N/A
N/A
N/A
N/A
N/A
N/A
N/A

Forecast by forecast.io

RSS World News Feed

  • Japan PM Abe says to discuss North Korea 'thoroughly' with Trump October 23, 2017
    TOKYO (Reuters) - Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said on Monday he would discuss North Korea "thoroughly" with U.S. President Donald Trump when he visits next month, and reaffirm the two countries' commitment to working together in dealing with the country.
  • Philippines declares siege by Islamist rebels over in Marawi City October 23, 2017
    CLARK, Philippines (Reuters) - The Philippines declared an end on Monday to five months of fierce urban warfare in a southern city held by pro-Islamic State militants, a battle that has marked the country's biggest security crisis in years.

Sov Indo Facebook

Facebook By Weblizar Powered By Weblizar

Sov Indo Tweets